Monday, March 23, 2009

BRANDON'S MONTH

Oh Brandon.....he is always into something. This past month has been a rough one for him. He has an obsession with football. He carries a football around the house, trying very hard not to toss it as that is not allowed inside. He can be found throwing it around outside with the dog, the neighbors, his brother, me (that is a real sight!!!) and at school during recess. Tackle football is not allowed at the school....only two hand touch. Now really, think about it. What is the difference between tackle and two hand touch to a 3ed grader? It was clear that he definitely did not know the difference since he was getting in trouble for tackling all the time even ending up in the office one day. UGH! We decided that he could not play football at the school anymore....at all! He was so mad at us but I can't have my 3ed grader sitting in the principle's office for pushing and hitting! His aggressive play carried over to home and so he lost his "football privileges" all together. One afternoon I get a frantic all from his friend, another 3ed grader mind you, that Brandon was "bleeding all over" and his "hand was cut open" and I "needed to come get Brandon because he could never walk again". OK.......I figure I have seen Brandon "bleed all over" many times so I am not too worried! I get to the friends house and I, of course, asked what happened. FOOTBALL!!! Brandon was playing football and as he jumped up to catch a pass, he did not see the bike lying on the ground behind him and tripped over it. I felt bad that he was hurt and had our neighbor who is nurse at an ER come over and determine if stitches were needed. After we decided that he was OK, I told him that he was not supposed to be playing football anyway and that bad things sometimes happen when we break the rules. What a mean mom I am.....what was I ACTUALLY thinking???? "Serves you right....you crazy kid!"





Oh the pinewood derby.......I detest the pinewood derby race. Probably because I always end up with a crying child. Our cars never do very well. Each year we buy the car and spend all this time working on it with the kids....this time it was Brandon sitting there HOPING it crosses the finish line. whew......it did........but dead last! I was proud of Brandon for holding it together even though his car was always last. I think the way they announced the winners made a big difference. Instead of showing the rankings as an entire group, they showed each den's results. This made it look like there was a first place and last place in each group rather then one last place finisher. It should not matter but when you have a broken hearted 9 yr old....it does! He did win "coolest car" for his Pittsburgh Steelers painted car! He loved that!!! Only one more pinewood derby race to deal with ...EVER!!! Woo Hoo!!!!




Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

40 Somethin Band said...

Hey Brandon Boy...
I saw ur battle scares from football. Makes me a bit worried about you getting on my new horse...might have to have you wear a helmet. Be good for ur Mom!

Kim Rose said...

It does serve him right! But... I hate to tell you that I doubt you are going to keep him from playing and I have a feeling he is going to be your expensive child. Great job on the derby car. Even with it being painted the wrong colors you won! YEAH!

Mrs. KIR said...

LAUGHING at the pine wood derby antics! I detest scouts all together and dread the day my son starts! Thanks heavens I have a hubby that hates it as much as I do...This way, I'll get to do everything scout related myself:)

As for the football injuries--OUCH!! and kinda funny too:=

The Flynn's said...

Awww, Brandon. He's so cute! Ouch!