Sunday, May 18, 2008

SIGNS OF SUMMER

It is no secret to my friends and family that summer is my favorite time of year. I love the hot, sunny days! I love the long hours at 7-peaks with a book and a diet Dr. Pepper or ice cold water! I love watching the kids play in the pools. I realize that I have passed a little bit of me onto them! Dave likes the water but he can live without it. He goes for us. I, on the other hand, love the water and did from the time I was a baby. I have tried to pass this same love onto the kids. I had two of them in swimming lesson very young and the other two seemed to be born with that knowledge and never took lessons. I always took them out in the deep end end encouraged them to jump and made them go under water. I never wanted them to be scared. This was partly selfish. I needed kids that loved the water so I could continue to spend so much time poolside in the summertime! Thankfully, it worked!

There are many signs that summer is finally here.....the sun of course, sprinklers under the trampoline, the lawn mowers going at 7:30 AM, dogs barking all night..... a sound that I actually like......late night talks on the porch with neighbors ( I love that we live in an area that everyone has very large proches!) For me, one of the first signs of summer is my feet! Yesterday was the first really hot day here. Everyone was outside doing yardwork, garage sale hopping, and playing in the water. It was a long day in the sun. When I came in to soak in the bath, with my new Mother's day bathsalts....thanks Ashlee.....I looked down and saw the faint outline of my flipflops on my feet. My flipflop tan line has always made me smile. Now I know that summer is REALLY here!

5 comments:

Kim Rose said...

Me too! I was just looking at freaking cute flip flops in a catalog today. I love them. I am ready for a pedicure so my toes are cute in the flip flops!

The Flynn's said...

I love that flip flop line too! Sometimes I mess it up if I wear too many different pairs of sandals. Christie said it was like 90 degrees the other day. We haven't even gotten that hot here. That is definitely a big change from snow a couple weeks ago~

Stephens Family said...

Okay, is this a Toombs thing? Cuz, I love the flip flop line too!! Maybe we got it from Grandma June...she always had a line! I have a pretty good one going now. That is what walks to the park with Dylan everyday will do! It was 107 here today! YIKES!! I love it though. We were playing in the water at 8pm. : )

Natalie said...

well, today doesn't feel like summer....hello rain and 57 degrees? WHAT???

Flynn Fam 6 said...

I was teary eyed reading your post only because I have been waiting sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long for some warm summer weather. This long cold has made me really home sick.